The Stratford Boathouse Public Washroom Project, spearheaded by Destination Stratford, seeks to re-imagine, rejuvenate and modernize the dated and seasonal Boathouse public washrooms centrally located within Stratford’s downtown core by increasing the number of washroom stalls from 3 to 6, winterizing the facility for year-round use, improving accessibility, and creating a safe, attractive space for local residents and visitors.
Not only is this a critically important infrastructure project for the economic recovery and sustainability of our tourism sector, but it is also a necessary investment in being a healthy,welcoming community. Year-round, accessible, and safe public washrooms are foundational in our ability to have vibrant public spaces that truly benefit and serve everyone – including visitors and those who call Stratford home.
Read local news articles about the project here, here, and here.
The current facility contains seasonal men’s (1 stall and 1 urinal) and women’s (2 stalls) that are dated and not fully accessible along with a tourism kiosk:
Slated to start construction later in 2022, the updated facility will remain open year round and expand the men’s washroom (1 accessible stall, 2 urinals), women’s washroom (1 accessible stall and 2 regular stalls), as well as a non-gender universal accessible washroom with full-size change table:
Note that this project does not impact the lower level which will remain in operation as the Avon Boathouse.
- APR 7, 2021 – DS discusses Boathouse Public Washroom Project with City Community Services
- APR 7, 2021 – City Community Services issues a support letter for the project
- JUN 8, 2021 – investStratford issues a support letter for the project
- JUN 14, 2021 – Stratford Festival issues a support letter for the project
- JUN 17, 2021 – BIA surveys membership about the project
- JUN 17, 2021 – Stratford Public Library issues a support letter for the project
- JUN 18, 2021 – Board of Park Management issues a support letter for the project
- JUN 18, 2021 – Chamber of Commerce issues a support letter for the project
- JUN 18, 2021 – Stratford Summer Music issues a support letter for the project
- JUN 24, 2021 – BIA survey results include 61 respondents with overwhelming majority in support
- JUN 24, 2021 – BIA issues a support letter for the project
- JUL 19, 2021 – BIA issues a 2nd support letter for the FedDev grant opportunity
- JUL 20, 2021 – FedDev funding application submitted by Destination Stratford in collaboration with City of Stratford and investStratford
- AUG 15, 2021 – DS presents to Finance & Labour Relations Sub-committee including outlining the Boathouse grant funding application
- SEP 10, 2021 – FedDev Funding approved for $293,500 towards Boathouse project
- SEP 22, 2021 – Meet at Boathouse with City Community Services, Chief Building Official and Marklevitz Architects
- OCT 17, 2021 – DS communicates funding approval directly to Council
- OCT 22, 2021 – Marklevitz Architects retained to start planning and design process
- NOV 16, 2021 – DS presents to Finance & Labour Relations Sub-committee including Boathouse grant funding approval and initial designs
- NOV 18, 2021 – Design and FADS checklist provided to City Clerk and Accessibility Advisory Committee (AAC)
- DEC 7, 2021 – DS presents Boathouse project and design to AAC
- DEC 12, 2021 – AAC reviewed the project and provided feedback
- FEB 1, 2022 – Architectural plans approved by AAC
- FEB 11, 2022 – DS shares 2021 Year In Review to Council incl. Boathouse project
- FEB 19, 2022 – RFP issued
- MAR 9, 2022 – Bids received (over budget)
- APR 13, 2022 – DS presents to Finance & Labour Relations Sub-committee including Boathouse
- MAY 19, 2022 – Building permit issued (PRM-2022-0084)
- JUN 21, 2022 – Destination Stratford Q2 presentation to City Finance and Labour-Relations Sub-Committee including Boathouse status update
- JUL 5, 2022 – FedDev Minister Jaczek announces over $11 million in funding for tourism initiatives in Perth County including the Boathouse project
- JUL 6, 2022 – Front page story in Stratford Beacon Herald about the Boathouse project
- AUG 8, 2022 – Council formally approves “funding support be provided as the project manager to Destination Stratford, in the amount up to $198,925 from the Tax Stabilization Reserve”
- AUG 17-18, 2022 – issue a 2nd Issue for Tender via Marklevitz Architects
- SEP 7, 2022 – Site Review
- SEP 15, 2022 – Tender close, 7 bids received
- SEP 23, 2022 – Lowest bid selection within budget awarded to PK Construction Inc.
- OCT 10, 2022 – Initial construction start date
- MAR 24, 2023 – Final occupancy granted and open to the public 8:30am-9:00pm throughout the year
This project is funded in part by the Government of Canada through the Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario.