Calling all arts admirers and culture enthusiasts!
We have the perfect itinerary to fill your love and admiration for all things arts and culture. We’ve carefully curated a list of the top places and ways to experience the unique and always changing creative scene that lives right here in Stratford!
My Arts & Culture Checklist:
- Grab coffee and breakfast from a delicious whole foods café
- Explore one of Ontario’s longest running public art galleries
- Discover 20 artistic and unique points of interest around the city
- Enjoy a taste of Japanese cuisine for lunch in a popular downtown restaurant
- Shop at art retailers and discover local, Canadian and international artists
- Take a selfie in front of one of our Insta-worthy stops
- Browse the impressive exhibitions about Perth County
- Check into accommodations overlooking the Avon River
- Indulge in delicious cuisine with worldwide flavours and local ingredients
- Start your day at the Insta-worthy cafe Edison’s Café Bar . This whole-foods café offers charm, delicious breakfast options and amazing coffee. Tucked into a beautiful space, you’ll admire the gorgeous exposed brick wall and artwork upon arrival featuring Thomas Edison, once a resident upstairs in 1863.
- Make your way to one of Ontario’s longest operating public art galleries, Gallery Stratford . This stunning public gallery, founded in 1967 has established itself as one of the region’s leading galleries, organizing exhibitions of local, national and international visual artists. A NOT to be missed spot! Admission is free, or by donation. *Please note: Gallery Stratford will be reopening on April 3.
- Once you’ve enjoyed the newest exhibits inside Gallery Stratford, we highly recommend exploring the grounds surrounding the gallery. In fact, we have a Public Artwalk guide to help. Art and culture are the lifeblood of Stratford – public art installations have sprung up throughout the city as early as 1897. Created to help guide art lovers around town, exploring twenty points of interest to various sculptures, as well as meaningful and historical art displays. #StratfordArtWalk
- You’ve certainly earned a delicious lunch after exploring some of our favourite art exhibits around town. With so many incredible locations throughout the city, it’s hard to choose just one. Today, we recommend having a seat and enjoying lunch at Mercer Kitchen + Beer Hall , where heritage meets hip in downtown Stratford. Mercer’s renowned izakaya inspired menu offers delicious Japanese flavours at each bite. Enjoy!
- Looking for something sweet after your delicious lunch? Consider embarking on our Chocolate Trail. A local & visitor favourite anytime of the year.
- A day in Stratford for any art lover wouldn’t be complete without exploring the various art-focused shops and galleries in the downtown core. A few of our favourites include: Mountain Galleries East , Agora Gallery , Koolen Fine Arts , and Gallery Indigena . *Business hours may vary due to limited capacity and provincial restrictions. Please check in advance or visit their online galleries.
- On your exploration of downtown, we recommend discovering our list of top 10 Insta-worthy spots in Stratford. It’s the perfect time to update your feed and impress your friends with these artistic backdrops found only in Stratford. #LoveStratford
- Last, but certainly not least, the Stratford Perth Museum is another must-see attraction in Stratford. The museum celebrates the rich and diverse communities of Perth County. With both impressive permanent collections and an annual cycle of new, fresh exhibits, you’ll relish in the rich history and culture. You might even come back the next day to soak in more. *Please note: Stratford Perth Museum will be reopening on March 1st.
- It’s time to check in, relax and freshen up in your own private suite. Your Stratford Staycation wouldn’t be complete without an overnight stay at one of Stratford’s unique accommodation options. We suggest booking a night or two at The River Merchant Inn . You’ll have the choice between two beautifully decorated and themed private suites that sit on the bank of the picturesque Avon River. A one-of-a-kind experience immersing you in the original uses of this downtown award-winning heritage building.
- Unwind and indulge at the stunning Braai House restaurant. Stratford first South African inspired restaurant, focusing on open-fire cooking. From the moment you walk into the restaurant you will instantly feel relaxed and comfortable in the beautiful décor, where you will be surrounded by flames from either the wood-fired grill, pizza oven, fireplace, fire table or torches outside. Dive into the culture of Brazilian cuisine and enjoy one of their incredible cocktails while you watch the chefs prepare your food in their open-style kitchen. Cheers!
For more things to do, places to stay and dining options visit our Plan Your Stay section! Be sure to tag us on your #StratfordStaycation journey! #LoveStratford